Sheridan and I got into a "disagreement" last night. I came to a conclusion late in the night. Of course when I told her about it this morning she completely freaked out. So, I would really like to know from you mothers out there (or fathers if you wish) what you would do. Here is the back story:
Sheridan decides a month or so ago she wants to be Cleopatra for Halloween. Ok, no problem there. Put that one on the back burner. (At the time Halloween wasn't for a few months) We find out a few weeks ago that she has to do a report in class. Kind of a big deal. Class presentation one day, then for the school a few days later. She was suppose to pick someone (an American), dress up like that person and do a presentation. Table display and everything. She picked Selena Gomez. If you don't know who that is, then you don't watch enough Disney Channel:) Basically she wants to dress up like a pop-star. Ok, she needs a costume. Apparently she had a VERY specific picture in her head of what this "out-fit" was suppose to look like. I guess I didn't "get it" because last night she tried on the dress I had made her and it was all wrong. The neck line, the length, it wasn't fitted enough. Complaint after complaint. So, we got into a little fight about it. To me it is a costume. To her it is everything!
So, as I am sitting at the sewing machine at 11 o'clock last night taking the dress apart and trying to make it more of what she wants, I start thinking about the situation. I am putting a lot more time and detail into this costume than I planned or wanted. And right after it is done, I am going to start working on ANOTHER costume. Her Cleopatra costume for Halloween. Why? Should I really be making another costume? She will have a perfectly good, nice costume already. Can't she be a pop star for Halloween?
Like I said, when I told her my idea this morning she freaked out. Tears and everything. I am pretty sure I have made up my mind on the situation. But I would really like to know, what would you do? How would you have handled this? Am I doing the right thing by "ruining" her Halloween and making her be something she doesn't want?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Well, you know Rachel threw a fit last year because all her friends were fairies and she was a cat. I didn't have to go out and buy or make a new costume (thanks to you), but it frustrated me. I would probably make my child use the costume that was already made. It costs money to make another and lots of time.... If it's not a big deal to make the other and it's the principle of the fact maybe you can make her "earn" it, by doing extra jobs or whatever. I don't know. I just like it when my kids "work" for the extra perks they want. Good luck!
This is a hard one, but I feel like these types of siutations always happen with my kids-and there is never a right answer. In this situation I think I would definitely be feeling like she needed to just be Selena for Halloween because there is too much going on to have time to deal with both. I know it is upsetting to them and they think the world is over. Maybe if you didn't have to MAKE both..... Tell us what happens
Post a Comment