Thursday, March 25, 2010

Happy Green Day!

On St.Patricks Day the kids woke up to a green breakfast. Green pancakes, and eggs. Brian even made their milk green. Although they thought it was fun, they didn't eat as much as usual that morning:)
This is one "holiday" I could do with out. I don't mind the wearing of green and such, it is the whole Leprechaun thing I could do with out.
It all started when Sheridan was in preschool. She learned about Patrick the Leprechaun. She learned that he is naughty and likes to play tricks. She also learned that if she didn't pick up her toys before bed he would come steal them:( (don't ask me why her teacher did this to us. I do not know. But I don't think she does it anymore) This had Sheridan COMPLETELY freaked out. For many years. To the point that the night before the 17th we would have to write a note for Patrick and leave it on her door because she was so scared that he was going to come in her room while she slept! The poor child. But on the nice side, she still feels the need to clean before she goes to bed so that she doesn't loose any toys:)
Then there is Madelynn. For 2 years (around age 4-6) she was completely lost. She thought we were talking about Patrick the star fish (from sponge bob).
And this year, Jack thought we were going to a birthday party for some one named Patrick. We know no one named Patrick. But he was excited to go.
So, as you can see this is a frustrating holiday for me. There are so many different way to celebrate! And everyone does it different. Does anyone out there even know why we celebrate it? I actually didn't until this year. I was so frustrated with it that I finally did the research to find out why I am even going to the trouble:) And even though I am now full of knowledge, I still am not sure why. We don't drink, and we aren't Irish:( So what are WE celebrating?

3 comments:

Steve & Julie said...

Brinton was clueless as well. I think it is a little silly. I read up on what it was about this year, since I couldn't sleep that night. Brint and Jack sure do love green though, so I felt like it was a holidy just for them. We haven't really talked about leprechauns yet since it doesn't matter. We'll see what I do differently when my kids are older :)

Lana said...

Kerstin, You had me laughing through this whole post. That is so funny! I agree with you. Funny enough, I read about it this year too, and I have never done that before. Hopefully we will all figure out where we stand before next year!
I LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU!!!
Lana

Jilleen said...

Tye calls it "Thank" Patrick's Day. I just laugh and don't correct him. Too cute and funny to make him say it right. Kaden always wants a leprechaun to come to our house, but I just tell him they don't always come to everyone's house.... or classroom. I'm with you, WHY?!!!